Monday 18 October 2010

Mark Zuckerberg; social networking's Pied Piper.


Facebook. We all use it. In fact if most people are like me, the first thing I do when on my computer is look at Facebook. It amazes me. But why? All I do is snoop through the news feed, looking at my friend’s conversations and pictures. So unnecessary and insignificant, simply too curious for my own good.  But it’s an addiction. I can’t help myself but go on.

Think back? Where was Facebook, say 5 years ago? Nobody new it. Bebo was all the rage. Myspace was cool. Flixter was fun. Social Networking was divided between these websites. But from nowhere, Facebook came steamrolling through and changed this system. These minor websites are unheard of now, Facebook has demolished their popularity. Domination on social networking fronts, Facebook is a phenomenon. As if not content with this newfound success, they figured why not branch out over other areas, such as live chat on the internet. And as was imminent, Msn messenger, Skype, you are no more. Facebook chat has arrived.


So what’s next? I fear for Google. Could Facebook’s own search engine be on its way? Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo! Mail and the rest, be very afraid. Perhaps Facemail or Fmail, could be on its way. (I’ll have my CV in for Facebook tomorrow, this is too easy). What if they challenged on an internet sales level? Becoming a serious threat to Amazon. Or dare I say it; could Facebook actually become the internet?
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment